James Kooole, Senior Product Manager
Fanatical about all things product and inspired to make life easier through smart design and intuitive tools that empower users. When I’m not thinking about how everything is a product, you’ll probably find me out for a long run with friends, or photographing trains.
Skills and Expertise
- Over eight years as Product Manager for Hover, a leading retail domain name registration and management platform used by hundreds of thousands of customers around the world to manage more than a million domain names and other services.
- Fifteen years in the internet domain name industry across multiple roles ranging from marketing and corporate communication to customer experience and product management for both B2B and B2C brands.
- Well-rounded writer and an effective communicator with extensive experience in print and online journalism, digital media and radio and television production.
Senior Product Manager, Hover (a part of Tucows) July 2013 – present
Responsible for all aspects of product strategy including short- and long-term roadmaps as well as vendor and technical partner relationships for Hover, the retail domain registration division of Tucows.
Fully versed in Kanban and agile development methodologies and Jira software, working with a team of developers and designers.
- Completed a full redesign of all customer-facing pages of Hover including marketing, domain search, shopping cart and checkout.
- Undertook a complete rebuild and re-architecture of our customer dashboard and domain management tools including innovative one-click DNS connection features and tools for both power users and novices alike.
- Transitioned Hover to a new payment processor (Braintree) including the migration of billing information for hundreds of thousands of existing customers, integration of new anti-fraud tools, and the addition of new payment methods including PayPal and Apple Pay.
- Envisioned and built out a Partner Platform including APIs, that enables functional hosting services and traditional hosting provider to more easily integrate domain registration and management into their service to provide increased customer value.
- Increased customers from 170,000 to 350,000 and domains under management from 480,000 to over 1.1 million. Grew annual revenue from $10M to $21M.
Customer Experience Lead, Tucows June 2012 – July 2013
Handled customer experience for both OpenSRS (B2B) and Ting Mobile (B2C), including creating and setting up internal systems to facilitate improved customer service outcomes.
- Evaluated, tested and deployed customer service tools including Zendesk, across multiple customer support teams as part of the Customer Service Operations team.
- Worked directly with a highly engaged group of ambassador customers to beta test, gather and analyze feedback on new features.
Communications Lead, Tucows April 2007 – June 2012
Managed all aspects of marketing and communications for OpenSRS, the B2B wholesale domain name division of Tucows. Responsibilities included writing and managing email communications for resellers, creating and revising marketing deliverables, organizing and attending trade shows, and managing PR and Investor Relations.
- Managed the communications plan for a migration of thousands of resellers and millions of end users to a new email platform including all reseller communications and end-user microsites and guides.
- Built and maintained system status sites for all Tucows brands and managed all crisis communications and PR.
Previous Work Experience
Audio Editor at 680News, 2006 – 2007 Writer and Web Video Editor at Discovery Channel Canada, 2005 – 2006 Film Transfer Technician at Deluxe Post-Production, 2004 – 2006 Technical Supervisor at Magnetic North Post-Production, 1997 – 2003 Video and Standards Conversion Specialist at International Image Services Inc., 1993 – 1997
Post-Graduate Diploma (Honours), Journalism, 2005 – 2007
Diploma (Honours), Television Broadcasting, 1990 - 1993
Available on request